Tuesday 21 May 2013

25 Years....

Some of my close friends and family know that recently I have been seriously thinking about moving back to London. It has not been an easy few months here in beautiful Cornwall, not least the issue of finding decent employment. Yes, I did find a good job, but not the right job, and not the right job for me.
It has also been difficult to find some friends down here, mainly due to the lack of job, going out and meeting people, etc, etc. It has been a 'double edged sword' to be honest. However, with the help my god children I have grown to love this place even more than I did when John and I used to visit.
It is starting to feel like home, the locals recognise me and we are now stopping in the street and chatting (gossiping!). 
It feels good.

25 years ago I was a zoo keeper, more specifically, a Bird Keeper.

It was, for me, my chosen career for life.


Sadly, Life decided that it was going to screw up that particular dream and, to cut a very long and boring story short, I never got back into it. But, it remains a hobby and an interest and I've almost always got my head in a bird book - have you seen the Field Guide to Mesozoic Birds? 
Very interesting!

In my relationship with John, friends and family only ever really saw one 'bird person' - John. It was his career, his life, it was also current whereas my 'bird life' was some years previous. Yes we both bird watched but I don't think many really thought of me as an ex bird-keeper.

John and I met at the Yard Bar in Soho. When we arrived at the 'Singles Event' (I wasn't technically single!), we were given a nut and bolt that didn't fit and we had to find our 'match'. Well, not only did our nuts and bolts match, but we matched each other, perfectly I'd say. 

With our matching nuts and bolts, we sauntered off to the bar to get our free ice breaker drink. It was here that John told me what he did for a living and I told him that I was also once a zoo/bird keeper. It turned out that we knew a few people and that our lives had crossed a fair few times. With John in my life I felt like I was still part of the Zoo community, although not working in it. He involved me in his discussions, his events, visiting other collections, etc, etc. As a PA I knew a bit about administration so he got me to do spreadsheets, presentations and documents for him which I thoroughly enjoyed. He made me feel part of it, I was a zoo keeper by proxy....AND I LOVED IT!

Fast forward 25 years from that young man in the picture to today..........

*drum roll*

As of Tuesday 28th May 2013 I will once again be a Bird-Keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
I'm going back to the start, to the career of my dreams, I am officially back in the Zoo community.
I will be a Bird-Keeper at Paradise Park in Hayle, here in beautiful Cornwall.

This is an opportunity that, quite frankly, I would be fucking stupid to give up and so, I am not giving it up. I am grasping it with both hands, feet, everything....this is my new life and I will most definitely be living it.
I will not be returning to London.
Life has handed me a gift on a plate and I am accepting graciously.

The best part - as a Bird Keeper I will feel, while doing my job, that John is with me all the time. He will be in my head telling me what I am doing wrong, what I am getting right and in my heart, making me feel wonderful.


I am excited.
I am very excited.
This is my future.
And there are birds....lots and lots of birds!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! This is terrific news!! I am very excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete