Friday 26 April 2013

Update Email - 26th April 2012


Hello Everyone,

It has been something of a quiet day today in "Johnnie World" when you consider the events of the past week!!!!!

The good news from last night's update is that he hasn't needed to go back on dialysis. I know that it's not a huge 'deal' to be on it and people can be on it for years and years but it's good that he's not needed to. He also had the second contrast today and he's still not on dialysis so his kidneys are indeed holding their own. On the second contrast they have found that his left arm is bigger than his right, something about circulation/perfusion again.

He has also developed a thrombosis under his left armpit and tonight they wrapped his entire arm in a bandage as a compress. I have been assured that it is a very small thrombosis and not a huge cause for concern.....in my mind ALL of him is a huge cause for concern!

He continues to wear his new trainers for an hour or so at a time 3 or 4 times a day to combat the foot drop - it looks very wrong to be lying in bed with size 13 trainers sticking out the bottom but if it helps him gets better I don't care.

I had to endure a number of telephone calls/emails with John's insurance company today as there were a few breakdowns in communication and at one point I was on conference call with London, Frankfurt and here in Bremen, all of us speaking pigeon English/German and me getting more and more irate with the entire conversation. However, it all came out in the wash and I hope it's now sorted. There's enough to worry about methinks.

He hasn't moved much today, he's been mostly unconscious...there has been the odd screwing up of his eye and the left leg has been moving but nothing like the other day.

Tomorrow he will probably be having a tracheotomy. Now that he is coming out of the sedation he is beginning to struggle with the ventilator and we all think that the Trach is the best way forward for him. Would you like to come out of sedation with pipes and such in your throat? He's not going to know who he is, where he is or who we are so anything that can be done to make his wake up that much more comfortable will be done.

The Zoo Boys, Adrian and Mark return to London tomorrow - a very depressing thought and I am delaying going to bed because I don't want to wake up and say goodbye. They have been such a HUGE support to me and Johnnie and I will really miss them being with us each and every moment. However, they too have partners and lives......I just hope they can return soon.

John's sister Christine returns tomorrow night for a coupe of days so I will not be without company over the weekend when it is rather quiet here in the German countryside.

That's it really, there's not much of an update today. It's hard to believe/comprehend that this all started exactly one week ago today......I feel like I have been here months and months.

Please continue to keep in contact with me, it really does help and makes me feel that little bit less 'fragile' and helpless.

Much love to all,

John & Johnnie xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment