Tuesday 23 April 2013

Update Email - 23rd April 2012

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, a big BIG thank you to you all for the continued love and support for my wonderful Hubby, he is receiving all your messages via his PA (me!) and he is feeling very loved indeed.....as am I.....your support for me has also been incredible....our friends and family are the best!

So, Day 4 in the Big Johnnie House......it has been a positive day for John however in the grand scheme of things, we're in the Pacific Ocean and we have achieved a grain of sand, but it's still an achievement. 

My previous update below mentioned the requirement for dialysis following the issues that he had with his kidneys, well *drum roll* today at 7am he come OFF the dialysis machine and his kidneys are now functioning on their own. They are not by any means working perfectly and are nowhere near 100% but they are working and they are doing it on their own, so a first step has been taken, and it's a bloody good one!

Another first today is that John has started having 'food'. He is receiving intravenous protein and he seems to be dealing with it ok. 

Perfusion in John's arms and legs remains an issue (please google for explanations) and I was told earlier that this morning his hands were a little blue, but they are watching and monitoring and testing and poking and prodding him evey minute of every day.

John's ventilation has been reduced which means that to some minimal extent he is partly breathing on his own, but it is minimal, VERY minimal.

Sedation has already been MINIMALLY reduced in order for them to start bringing him out of the drug induced coma. This will happen over a long period of time, he won't just wake up and be alert, this is going to take a while. One step too far, particularly with high blood pressure and it could kill him and I cannot stress that enough, he is critical. He is not out of the woods, far from it. Let's not forget that just waking him up will alert the FANTASTIC Critical Care Unit staff to any other issues, including the neurological ones that I am particularly scared of......brain damage is the one thing I am dreading but they must prepare us for the worst, however we are all (as are you) hoping for the best. Only time will tell, and he has the rest of his life to get better and this is my one and only goal in life now, everything else takes second place to my Husband.....

The family have been a huge comfort to me. Our Sons, Henry and James have been strong, capable young men in the face of such adversity, and us Dads could not be prouder of them, they are truly Ellis Boys and I count myself very lucky in life to have two such amazing Sons. Sister in Law Christine has also been to visit John and she has been my 'family rock' over the last few days, dealing with me sobbing, worrying, etc, etc......she is a diamond.

Talking of amazing men, the Zoo Boys, Adrian and Mark are still looking after me and I really don't know how to even begin to thank them, but thank them I will one day......the zoo will maintain a presence with me for a while.

International SOS are in contact with me on a daily basis to make sure I am not worrying, that I have accommodation, that I am being updated on John's condition, that I am eating, sleeping, etc. 

That's all for today folks, please feel free to email me and I will respond to you as and when I am not with His Lordship.....it's nice to hear from people at home and it makes me feel less lonely and isolated when I'm going through a 'moment', as I did at 3am this morning waking up convinced that John had sent me a text and when I looked at my phone he most definitely had not, so I walked to the CCU and gave him a hug and a kiss and had a little chat. I don't know who was more surprised I was there at 3am, the staff or me....!

Talking of chatting to John, everyone who comes in has a good chin wag with him, he is obviously unconscious and cannot talk back, but we tell him lovely, positive things in the hope he can hear us. The CCU staff have even started talking to him in pigeon German/English each morning before I arrive which I think is marvellous!!!

Much love from me and my amazingly brave Husband.

John & Johnnie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment