Thursday 7 February 2013

Relight my Fire

My new home has a fireplace. 
In fact, it has two fireplaces but only one is functional.
Last night I tried to light a fire and I failed miserably and instead of a roaring fire I spent the evening surrounded by the smell of charred wood.
I went to bed worried that as we fell asleep we'd all die from some noxious gas inhalation.
I worried all night about that.
Eventually, in the early hours I fell asleep.
The dogs and I didn't die in the night.
Funny how a few months back it's what I wanted.
To go.
To 'be with John'.

Notice his hand on my shoulder :-)

It's miserable and wet here today and just a tad cold.
So this afternoon I tried once again to light a fire.
I am pleased to announce that for the last couple of hours we have had a roaring fire.
I did it!
In all honesty, this sort of thing I would have left to John...and he would have loved it anyway!
He was so much better at practical things than I ever was.
But now, alone with no one to turn to for support, help or reliance, I must do these things myself.
It's a double edged sword.
I love that I am doing things on my terms, learning all the time...
I hate, HATE, HATE that John isn't here witnessing my emergence as a fully bona fide human being who can actually take care of himself (shock, horror!!!).


I have been very tearful recently.
John is always there, in the forefront of my mind, all the time.
Things I do, places I go, people I meet (I wish I could introduce them to my Husband!!!!!!).
I absolutely detest grocery shopping and the subsequent cooking for one. 
I DETEST IT!
If I could live my life on a packet of crisps/slice of cake and copious amounts of alcohol, I would....so much easier!
But plod on I do and will.
I find most days difficult at one time or another, just functioning takes effort.
I mentioned to my friend Lawrence yesterday that I still feel mentally 'tired', not yet ready to take on the world again. 
I am still consumed by grief for the man I am and probably will always be in love with.
I still don't understand the master plan behind the taking of one so alive.
It wasn't his time.
It wasn't.
IT FUCKING WASN'T! 



I know this song is more about loss after betrayal rather than death but the following words more than adequately describe how I feel inside.

I can't hear this song without sobbing.

Tell them all I know now
Shout it from the rooftops
Write it on the skyline
All we had is gone now
Tell them I was happy
And my heart is broken 
All my scars are open
Tell them what I hoped would be impossible...

No comments:

Post a Comment